All-new, CBS 6 News App launch Monday

76-year-old dies after food left on stove sparks Chesterfield house fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

CHESTERFIELD COUNTY, Va. -- Fire officials have released the name of the person killed early Friday morning in a house fire on Brixham Drive.

Emergency crews found 76-year-old Edward Wade III unconscious on the floor of the home suffering from life threatening injuries. He was taken to Chippenham Medical Hospital where he died shortly after.

When fire crews arrived at the home at about 12:50 a.m. they encountered heavy fire coming from the roof.

A Richmond firefighter who responded to the fire near the county-city was injured during the operation. He was taken to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries. His condition has not yet been released.

"It took crews over an hour to get the fire under control," Elmore said.

The Chesterfield County Fire Marshals determined the fire started in the kitchen as a result of unattended cooking.

"Unattended cooking continues to be the number one cause of fires in Chesterfield County," Elmore said. "Fire officials urge everyone to never leave your cooking unattended and always avoid distractions that will take you away from the kitchen."

Google Map for coordinates 37.536462 by -77.551149.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.